The 6 Best Rosacea Skin Care Ingredients
Rosacea is a skin condition that affects many people. Those who suffer from rosacea often experience red flush inflammation on their cheeks, and sometimes even visible broken red blood vessels. Rosacea can be a frustrating condition, as it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause or the best treatment for it. Furthermore, many skin care products contain ingredients that could be potential irritants, making it difficult to find the right rosacea skin care products. However, some ingredients are known to have a significant effect on the appearance of inflammation and redness from rosacea. Here are the top 6 rosacea skin care ingredients and what they do:
- Green tea extract – Green tea contains powerful antioxidants known as polyphenols, particularly a subcategory of them called catechins. These compounds are great at protecting skin from free radicals and have strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Niacinamide – Niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3, is a strong antioxidant that protects the skin from environmental damage. Niacinamide is also known to reduce hyperpigmentation and redness, making it a useful ingredient for rosacea skin care.
- Chamomile – Chamomile is a flower known for being calming when sipped in an herbal tea or when its oil is diffused through an essential oil diffuser, but it is also very calming to inflammation when applied topically to the skin. Chamomile is even said to be antiallergenic, and it can help to balance sebum production, helping with both oily and dry skin.
- Aloe – Aloe is a long-trusted ingredient when it comes to soothing and nourishing skin. People have used it for years to treat burns, sunburns, and other irritation and inflammation, making it ideal for rosacea skin care. Aloe is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and contains polyphenols (like those in green tea), which help fight against bacteria and free radical damage.
- Resveratrol – Resveratrol is a rich antioxidant found in the skin of red grapes. Resveratrol protects from free radicals, as is typical for antioxidants, and is also very effective at limiting sun damage, which can worsen the look of rosacea. Resveratrol can often be found in retinol creams such as this 2.5% Retinol Cream by Advanced Skin Care, which also contains aloe and green tea extract.
- Hyaluronic acid – Hyaluronic acid is a fantastic skin care ingredient that helps to rebuild collagen, and helps skin absorb and retain moisture and other active ingredients. Some hyaluronic acid-based serums even contain niacinamide and other B vitamins, making them a great product to try for rosacea. For more on this ingredient, read our in depth article.
As we mentioned, many skin care ingredients can be potential irritants to those with rosacea, so sufferers need to be careful about what they put on their faces. Here’s a list of known irritants to avoid:
- Strong fragrances
- Peppermint oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Witch hazel
- Foaming cleansers